Fiji Suva Mission

Fiji Suva Mission

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Service is Sick (and so are we) (Samabula Area, Week 5)


Joy in their eyes makes me happy!


This is Sai Toga, and that is Poseidon's trident. Or just a cassava plant stem.
Long week, to say the least. Nothing much happened, except for sickness for days on end. Elder Ta'a has some nasty boils, and I had some stomach bug. We're finally better, but it was annoying being at
home so much with so much to do. The only days we really went anywhere was on Thursday and Sunday.

Elder Kanongata'a in action! #wereweremadavalalai
Elder Kanongata'a helped me to remember the need for a weekly service project - I'd kind of put it to the side, unless someone asked us to help them. Instead of just staying home and cleaning the flat, he got us out and at members' houses, asking if there was anything we could do. And we worked - for four hours, cleaning up gardens and yards. It was so fun! I testify of the wonder and power of service to bring people together and create a special bond between them! Plus, it's just plain fun and often involves homemade lemonade (always a perk). I really felt the Spirit while we served, too - after all, service to others is service to God (Mosiah 2:17).
Add caption

Sunday, after days of being inside due to stomach bugs and such, we finally got to go to church. It was disappointing, to say the least - only a handful of people showed up to church, due to the Fiji Rugby game that was on. None of our investigators came to church - even Sister Matanatabu, though that may be because her father was in the hospital last I heard. I hope it all works out. I'm praying hard.

This is Titilia, she's hilarious
But I'm happy :) Mosiah 2:41 is so true! I trust
that as we are working hard and being obedient, the Lord will bless this area and these people. That's what really matters to me! For some missionaries, positions and statistics can blind them to their true purpose. I've finally come to the wonderful conclusion that none of that really matters in the end - what matters is the happiness and salvation of the children of God here in Fiji. Something President Henry B. Eyring said once has always stuck with me: "It will not be the offices held or the time spent that will be weighed in balance with the Lord. We will be rewarded for HOW we served." That's what I'm working on now, and I'm already seeing wonderful blessings as a result!

Love you all!


Elder Barnaby

No comments:

Post a Comment