Fiji Suva Mission

Fiji Suva Mission

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Let's Go! (Samabula Area, Week 11)


the wonderful hearts and words of the Primary kids
First of all, I'd like to announce that prayers are indeed answered. Why? Because I left my SD card reader here in the internet shop last week, and it was still here when we came today. As my companion says, "The Lord takes care of His missionaries!"


Oh so Transfers were this week - but nothing happened. Elder Ta'a and I both stayed in Samabula. We were shocked. We were positive one of us was going. But after the initial shock of it, we realized how good it was too, and apparently there's still more things to learn and more good to do! That's right, a Tongan from Cali and a White Kid from Mass just here to be the hands of the Lord in Samabula area!
Our first-ever official, paper, real-deal referral for an investigator!

Samabula District at lunch
And boy, ironically, we've had to rely a lot on those hands lately. So many plans falling through, investigators not progressing, less-actives not coming, and just the usual aches of missionary life. But this past transfer has helped us to face these kind of challenges with a new perspective. It's like we're not so much worried about the cliff face or the impending storms, but focused on that horizon. I think that was Jack Sparrow - "Bring me that horizon" - but this time we're asking Heavenly Father for that. And let me tell you, he definitely brings it!

Sisa didn't come to Stake Conference - we were  so convinced that he would, but he had to work late on Saturday night and we just too tired to come. I am proud of his wife, though, who has just come back to activity in the church and just won't give up! The ward is just changing at an amazing rate. On Tuesday, we had the first Ward Council in several months, and it was powerful seeing the leaders of the Samabula 2nd Ward taking charge and charging on. Hopefully this Sunday we will have a Ward Mission Leader called so that we take this work to the next level.

On Friday, we had the opportunity to go do baptisms for the dead in the Temple with the ward, and it was a real special time. It's the first time I've been in a dedicated House of the Lord since leaving the MTC almost a year and a half ago, and it was so nice to be there. I felt a welcoming peace that I can't describe, and I just loved it. But the best part was that Sister Matanatabu was able to come, and she said that it was "e dua tani sara ga na ivakila" ("a completely different feeling"). She's doing so well - I love that family so much!
Samabula District at the Temple

We have some new investigators that we met this week - one is Vaseva, who came to the Temple Open House in February and we were finally able to make contact with her. She has lots of questions, and seems pretty interested in the church. Her husband, who also sat with us, was really quiet at first, so quiet that we thought he didn't like us - but then I found out he was from Ra province and I know a little bit of that dialect, and after I started talking to him in Ra dialect he opened up like a poorly wrapped burrito (not that I've had one in over a year). We also got a referral for a family who apparently want to be baptized - that's always a plus!

So, ready? Set? Let's go!

Elda Barnaby



Malo vinaka

No comments:

Post a Comment