Fiji Suva Mission

Fiji Suva Mission

Sunday, August 23, 2015

I Testify that Murphy's Law is Real (Matei Area, Week 6)

I walked into a pole. I was not pleased.
Disclaimer: I'm not being negative! This week just exemplified Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and at the worst possible time". That's not to say that absolutely everything went wrong, there were some fantastic things that happened this week - some that came because of Murphy's Law. Allow me to elaborate.

Suffice to say it Rained on Saturday
First of all, Elder Carter POPPED MY BUBBLE and informed my that I'd been spelling my nickname wrong my whole mission - it's Painapiu, not Pinapew. It's the little things that get me.


Elder Carter and Brother Lagi, the Ward Clerk, 
who was going visiting with us on Saturday. Poor guy.
Monday, we missed the bus (surprise! every week!) so we started walking to Matei, and we caught a ride after about an hour of walking. As we started walking to an appointment, we stopped to say hello to a less-active. This man is the son of the Matei Group Leader, and he's always gone. Elder Carter has been here for 3 months and has never sat down with him. But he was there, and we were able to sit down and talk to him. He told us a little about his conversion story, and the Spirit took the lesson in an entirely different direction than we were expecting. It was amazing, and the discussion led to my favorite book of scripture in the Book of Mormon - Enos! (Fijian: Inosi). It was a bomb lesson. But that was the only lesson on Monday.
Pot of gold after the storm (the aftermath of the rain!)

On Tuesday we made pancakes for some of the members - REAL pancakes, not the fried Fijian batter things. We just made them to show appreciation to some of the members of the unit that really help us out - and later on this week, they all started requesting the recipe! Our Group Leader, Brother Celua, thought it was a time bomb...uhh...anyway, we had some fantastic less-active lessons this week, though. It was a tough week for investigators, but it was getting better throughout the week.

Now, back to Murphy's Law. Friday, our dinner appointment fell through. Saturday, we planned to go on splits with the members, and the whole day's plans were messed up when one of them didn't show up. Saturday, it rained for a long time - and we were interior visiting less-actives, up in the hills, so that was an enjoyable walk. Saturday, Elder Carter left his bag in a truck that gave us a ride (we did end up finding it). Sunday, 27 people came to church! And over half of them left right after Sacrament Meeting, and the rest after Sunday School. That was a little bit frustrating, but the most important thing is that they're coming to Sacrament Meeting. Also, we're hitting large roadblocks with our investigators and the less-actives we're helping to return to church. It's just an exciting time here in Matei - I'm not mad, it's just difficult at times.

 Tuvasu kids!
I will tell you what I learned this week: I read President Thomas S. Monson's talks from last conference, and thought about how old he is now. I thought to myself, "What if these were his last talks - is this what's most important to him, the Prophet of God?" The first was titled, "The Priesthood - A Sacred Gift" and the second "The Blessings of the Temple". These two things intertwine so nicely and are so eternally important that I couldn't help but feel that he is a true Prophet, living today. It was amazing. As I read them, I gained a realization that I wish I'd gained a long time ago: being worthy and clean spiritually isn't just about getting to heaven - it's about pleasing my Heavenly Father, and being able to bless other people. That's the point of the Priesthood, the power and authority to act in God's name, given by Christ Himself to His Apostles and restored to Joseph Smith in these the last days. That's the point of the Temple, the House of the Lord, wherein we can find the crowning ordinances, including sealing a family together for time and all eternity. This is the point: to bless others. I have this newfound excitement and drive to be more worthy, so that I may be an "instrument in the hands of God...and this is my joy" (Alma 29:9)

Elder Carter made Pumpkin Curry and a chutney 
(which is like a sweet side dish of tomatoes and onions - kind of like a sauce or topping). 
Way tasty!

Au lomani kemuni kece sara,

Elda Painapiu (not Pinapew)
Frogs get hit all the time here. But this...this takes the cake.




No comments:

Post a Comment