Fiji Suva Mission

Fiji Suva Mission

Sunday, September 6, 2015

God Helps Those Who Sprain Their Ankles (Matei/Qeleni Area, Week 8)

Teaching the Word of God under a Mango tree
Just a little note my mom sent me and
I thought it applied perfectly right now
Here's the story of a lifetime: Last Tuesday, Elder Carter and I ventured out to Somosomo to stay with the Elders there for part of the day. I decided to use another Elder's shoes - they were so comfortable and only a little bit big for me. We bought some breakfast pies with fruit fillings and the like, but as we returned back to the flat, I took a wrong step down and ate it. Not the pie, the ground. However, I did NOT drop the pie (to my everlasting credit). My foot, however, is now severely sprained, to the point where the Mission Nurse had me in bed for more than half of this week.

So not a lot else happened! Elder Carter and I had to get pretty creative with our time - we made up games, we watched church videos, we even played battleship - on paper! But we were so bored, we were stuck inside from Friday until Monday morning. Thankfully, our District Leader, Elder Noble, came up to visit on Sunday afternoon so we could go on splits and Elder Carter and Elder Noble could go visit some people. Elder Brown, who's a new missionary, stayed with me while the other two went.


Elder and Sister Vermeeren and Elder Roth with me and
Elder Carter
However ineffective our week was proselyting-wise, we had a great day on Thursday, with help from the Senior Missionary Couple, the Vermeerens. They have a truck, so I was able to go out proselyting and visiting several families, and each visit was just filled with the Spirit of the Lord - they were all powerful lessons! It was very enjoyable day - I loved it, even though I didn't go out again the rest of the week. When Elder Carter and Elder Noble went teaching on Sunday evening, though, they visited Sikeli, who will hopefully be baptized this week. They asked him how his reading was going in the Book of Mormon, and he said that he'd finished it - and started again. First of all, the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ - which we use alongside the Bible to testify of the Savior and of His Gospel) is 500 pages long. Secondly, Sikeli is only 15 years old - and he finished the whole book in a month! We were over the moon when we found out! He's gained a testimony of the Book of Mormon and knows that it too is the word of God, working with the Bible to help us to know how we can prepare ourselves in this life to return to live with our Heavenly Father.

Here's a verse from the Book of Mormon that really gives me comfort, especially after a week like this:
As you can see, my badly-sprained ankle and 
I have a very agreeable relationship.
"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." (Alma 7:11-12)




That's Christ. Sure, I couldn't help His people this week, like I wanted to. But I definitely feel that He remembers me. You, too. Here's to a great week ahead! 


Elder Barnaby





This is Paula, one of our investigators, and his way funny kids.

This is Sister Koroi and her son Keli - they're fantastic members!
Keli will be baptized sometime this month, he's 8-years-old.

My attempt at french fries - they weren't too bad...

We Love Mail Time... Thanks Mom!!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Max. Hope your ankle is pretty healed by now. Can't believe you've been on your mission for 9 months already. Enjoy reading your blogs a lot !! Take care of yourself and keep enjoying your mission like you obviously have been doing !! Lots of love and a giant hug, Auntie Pam

    ReplyDelete