Fiji Suva Mission

Fiji Suva Mission

Monday, February 15, 2016

And Then I Got Transferred Again (Samabula 2nd Area, Week 1)

Ligica Family - we took this picture after dinner on Monday, 
not realizing that the next day I would be transferred.

I'm getting really good at packing my bags quickly. I got transferred again.

On Tuesday, we were having a normal day in Nakelo, doing our visits in Lomainasau, when all of a sudden, I got a call from President Layton, the mission president. And when he calls, you know he's not just calling to chat. This is what he said: "Elder Barnaby, we have a missionary who has to return home due to issues with his health, and we'd like to ask you to come here to Samabula to be the new District Leader here. Can ya do that for me?" Of course I said yes, but inside I was freaking out. Why me? I think my name must be at the top of some list, and whenever anything happens, they say, "Oh, Elder Barnaby will do it for us!" For anyone who knows what an "emergency transfer" is, this is my fourth time.

So we said goodbye to Susana and a few other families, caught a taxi home, and within the hour, I'd
Delana family - the day I got transferred. Sister Delana was mad hahaha
Saying Goodbye hasn't gotten any easier!
packed all my stuff and the Assistants picked me up from Nakelo. It was the fastest transfer I've ever been involved in. It was nuts, and I was so sad to leave Elder Raiqisa, Elder Lemusu, and Nakelo. So sad. I got into Samabula, Suva late Tuesday night, and I've been here in Samabula ever since. I came to replace Elder Davis, who was in the MTC with me - he's unfortunately very sick and had to return home to see if the doctors there can help him. Please keep him in your prayers - he's really upset about all of this and his health just keeps declining, so he can use a lot of heavenly help. I was so sad to say goodbye to him, as we were supposed to fly home together at the end of our missions, and to know that I was replacing him in one of the toughest areas in the mission was really intimidating. But I've found that it's not so bad after all.

And this is my comp! Elder Aguiar and a few of our 
friends!
I have a cool companion - Elder Aguiar, from Oregon! He's half Mexican, half Cuban and  all American wrapped up into an awesome missionary!  He's the man.   We're getting along way good and really enjoying working together. He just started his mission a few months ago, so we're working together to get
This is Brother Ceguadrau 
and his daughter, Raijeli (Rachel)
him into tip-top shape, so he can be set for the rest of his mission. Work here in Samambula 2nd is way fun - hard, yes, but fun. We're working on finding new people to teach at the moment, and the ward is being really helpful in referring many people to us to teach. It's exciting to see such a "dreaded" area already start to bloom!


Is that...the Temple? In my area?

This weekend is the Temple Re-dedication. And the Temple? Yeah, it's a five minute walk from my house. It's so cool being in this area - I literally walk by the Suva Fiji Temple every single day. The Temple Cultural Celebration is on Saturday, and the Re-dedication is on Sunday. President Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church, and Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will both be coming, along with four members of the Quorum of the Seventy. It's so exciting, I can hardly stand it! As soon as I finish writing this, we're going to the LDS High School to attend a practice for the Cultural Celebration.
It's been really really hot this week. Especially for
this New England boy!

The miracles are coming in waves, and I love being a part of them! Please pray for Fiji this week, there's supposed to be rain this weekend, which would put a damper on the celebration, so please remember us in the Pacific! We'll remember you in your snow-covered lives!

Love you! Next week, I'll be the happiest person on Earth - I guarantee it!


Elder Barnaby

No comments:

Post a Comment