Fiji Suva Mission

Fiji Suva Mission

Sunday, May 22, 2016

"In Remembrance of Me" (Samabula 2nd Area, Week 15)



I have a small print-out of a painting of the Savior above my desk in our flat. It's a depiction of the Last Supper, and it just touches my soul as I see Him breaking the bread in the painting in such a loving way and hearing His words repeated in my head, "This is in remembrance of me". It's touched me in a way that I can't forget, looking up at this picture every time I feel inadequate or down. I hear those words, "This do in remembrance of me" and I realize that that is what I'm doing right now. I'm doing this, I'm serving a mission, in remembrance of Him and helping others to come unto Christ so that they too can do all things in remembrance of Him who gave us all things, and saves us from all things if we will but heed the call, "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest".

Because of Christ, people can change a lot faster than you'd think possible. I saw that in one of our less-actives, Jone Varawa, this week. Over the past month, he just made a huge switch and started coming to church on his own. As we've seen him and befriended him, he's made leaps and strides towards living a better life. He's about 25 years old, and people just gravitate towards him. He's so himself, so funny that everyone loves being around him. I have a feeling that he's going to do amazing things for the Samabula 2nd Ward and for the people around him as the Lord uses those talents for good.

The same goes for my awesome companion, Elder Kanongata'a. He's so powerful and all the members here love him. Our recent convert, Sofaia Matanatabu, even quoted him in her testimony during sacrament meeting last sunday! The Lord uses his talents in furthering the work of salvation here in Fiji and in changing me into a better person. I really enjoy seeing that picture every morning, and thinking of the words "In Remembrance of Me", because I'm realizing that more and more every day the truthfulness of the Prophet's words: "Our lives must become a meaningful expression, the symbol of our testimony of the Living Christ" (Gordon B. Hinckley, "The Symbol of Our Faith"). In other words, if we are living the way He would live, we live "in remembrance of Him".

So, that's the challenge this week: Are you living "in remembrance of Him"? Do people recognize Him as they interact with you every day? When you partake of the Sacrament on Sunday, are you willing to "take His name upon you" and be a remembrance of Him? That's what I'm trying to do right now, and it isn't easy, but it's so right.


Loloma yani mai vei keitou mai na veiyanuyanu i Pasifika!

Elda Barnaby

No comments:

Post a Comment