Fiji Suva Mission

Fiji Suva Mission

Sunday, May 29, 2016

O Viti, O Viti (Samabula 2nd Area, Week 16)

Wow - the Lord really can make something out of nothing. He made miracles happen when we least expected it. The big highlights of the week were, for me, the baptisms in the Samabula 1st Ward and Church on Sunday in our Samabula 2nd Ward.

As a District Leader, I am authorized to conduct interviews of candidates prepared for baptism. The interview is, in part, to check their knowledge and understanding of the doctrines and principles they've come to believe by taking the missionary discussions, and in part to check if they've truly repented of their past mistakes and are committed to following the Savior Jesus Christ for the rest of their life. It's less of a test, though, and more of a conversation about testimony. A testimony is simply what you believe - and it is gained through the Holy Ghost, who testifies to our souls of truth. That's really what's being talked about in baptismal interviews - testimony and conversion.

This past week, I was able to conduct two baptismal interviews, and both were powerful in a simple way. It was the simplicity and the calm atmosphere that the Spirit brought that made Te and Ben's baptismal interviews so special. They are both truly ready to make and keep covenants (promises) with the Lord. And they have already started - they, along with two others, were baptized on Saturday, and it was probably the highest-attended baptism I've ever been to in Fiji.

The special event of Sunday was that our recent convert, Sister Matanatabu, received her first calling - to be 2nd Counselor in the Relief Society Presidency. That, coupled with the news that Rosi and Jeri Matanatabu will be married so that Rosi can be baptized, just made everything so sweet this past week.

We have transfers this week, and I'm pretty sure I'll be going, but I learned this week that I love Fiji. I never want to leave. This is my home. And wherever I go next - or if I stay - it's still Fiji and it's still my favorite place in the world.


Elder Barnaby

No comments:

Post a Comment