Fiji Suva Mission

Fiji Suva Mission

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Blessings Are Easier To See In The Midst Of Afflictions (Tavua Area, Week 11)



Bula vinaka, you people who I love!

It's been a hard week here in Tavua! Hard, and full of wonderful blessings! I realized today how true the statement is that a diamond is more brilliant when displayed on black velvet. Blessings are easier to see in the midst of afflictions.

Good news - I got over my skin ailment this week! I may have some scarring from it, but it's pretty much gone. I've still got stomach pains, but that's natural when you're still adjusting to a completely different environment. Boy! I get to LIVE here for more than 20 more months! How awesome is that?

This past week was my "Week 11" in Missionary Training - which means that I lead all the missionary efforts this week, in place of my companion who's been doing this for over a year. It was surprisingly easy, though I noticed plenty of things I need to work on.

On Monday night, we stopped by Bishop's house to see if we could have a Family Home Evening lesson with his family. Our dinner appointment had fallen through, so we had extra time on our hands. We ended up having a wonderful lesson, and their niece, who lives with them, expressed interest in being baptized! Woot! We're starting the lessons with her tomorrow! Also, they fed us dinner that night, and we played Spoons with them. I love Bishop's family! We also did service with them this week, helping them move a pile of gravel in their yard. Bishop cut some sugar cane for us, and we ate it! Right off the cane! Boy, it was sweet. 

Blast from the past!  This is the computer I was emailing from
Thought all my tech savvy relatives will get a kick out of this!
Tuesday and Wednesday were disappointing, to say the least. Most of our lessons fell through, and we only got to see a few people. One of them was George, who was going to be baptized two weeks ago but will now be baptized this coming week! I'm so excited for him, and he's so excited too! He even came to Stake Conference on Sunday, an hour-and-a-half long bus ride from Tavua! Boy, so cool! He's the man!

We found a lot of new people to teach this week, and almost all of them came out of no where. We were searching for a less-active member of the Church on a certain street, and we came across a few families that we invited to take the missionary lessons. One of them, an Indian family, invited us back before we'd even said anything! I'm so excited to see them today!

WE HAD STEAK LAST WEEK AT A MEMBER'S HOUSE. 
IT WAS THE BEST. 
This is Brother Sharma, cutting it up! 
SA SO GOOD! MALEKA SARA GA!


Honestly, this week, numbers-wise, looks like a failure. But I feel really good. I've seen miracles this week, and I don't think I've been grateful enough to my Heavenly Father for my many blessings. I may say it every day in my prayers, but I need to start showing it. That's my challenge to you all. Don't just tell you're Heavenly Father you're grateful - show your gratitude! I love you all. Be the best you can be, and through our Savior's Atonement, He can make up the rest!


Elder Barnaby




This is Stake Conference.  It is when a number of LDS congregations come
together to learn and fellowship.  It was so worth the
hour and a half bus ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment