Fiji Suva Mission

Fiji Suva Mission

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Happy (Tavua Area, Week 23)

Ba District! (minus one)
Just goes to show our mission's diversity - two Samoans from Australia, one Samoan from New Zealand, one half Tongan-half Tahitian from Utah, one full Tahitian from Tahiti, one Kiribati from the Gilbert Islands, and one American from New England!
Dear Friends and Family,

You are amazing. My email was flooded with love and support today, and I hear about your love from my mother and I just want to give you all a huge hug from Fiji.

This week was trying. It was stretching. It was painful. And it was great. I changed this week. I don't know how exactly - one day, I was full of negativity and inadequacy. Then all of a sudden, light flooded my life. And I was happy. Now I can't stop joking around, having the time of my life, and seeing the true joy that comes from serving the Lord and His people. Honestly, I know for a fact that it was because of your prayers and your faith that I was lifted from the gall of bitterness to the heights of heaven. I didn't really notice the change - it happened so fast, but looking back, there was no way I did that on my own. Someone from On High was definitely carrying me. If anyone has any question as to whether Jesus is the Christ and whether or not his Atonement is real, I am now living evidence! I am changed, and even though I'm not done, I am on the right path again.

We got a new phone - we are so "kai colo" about it though. ("kai colo" is kind of another word for "redneck", referring to the interior Fijians who don't really have any technology)

This week, we were in the bush a little ways and this truck stops and the guy asks if we want a ride. Turns out he's the directing manager of the Island Chill water facility - and he gave us a pack of bottled water for free!
This week was insane. Elder Vole and I worked it, and we killed it. We had the most lessons I've ever had in a single week - and we don't have a vehicle, we only have our legs and the aid of angels. I was entirely exhausted. We did our very best this week, and I look back and am amazed at both the love of God and His matchless power in the lives of His children. Twice on Saturday, we had lessons where the Spirit brought people to tears. Everyone talks about those kind of lessons, but until then I'd never experienced one. Let me tell you, it was unforgettable.

We've had a lot of fun this week, too. We had lots of funny transportation issues, we met a guy who thought he was God, we went through four phones this week, I accidentally said in a prayer "Solia vei keitou na nomuni Yalo Tabu me tiko vata kei keitou ni keitou mate" ("Give us Thy Holy Spirt to be with us as we die"), and man, the list goes on and on!

Samsen Family!
The best part of this week happened at church, though. I was blessing the sacrament with Fesa Amoi and I saw some of the less-active members sitting in the congregation. And then more. And more. Until I'd seen over a dozen of them, sitting there, ready to partake of the sacrament for the first time in a while. It almost brought me to tears. I'd been thinking about why I was in Fiji, why here and why now. I felt very strongly that it was because of them. These people. I'm here because of them. Almost every one of those people we'd visited and invited to come back to church over and over and over again - and finally, the Spirit had done something we couldn't have on our own. I was happier than I could imagine.
Dakunimata Family!

Yes, there will be hard times. Yes, there will be ups and downs. But I am happy. I am changing. I am serving the Lord.

"And this is my joy." - Alma 29:9


Elder Barnaby


On exchanges in Ba, Elder Mong-Yen made me a very nutritious breakfast 
of cookies and chocolate milk...

No comments:

Post a Comment