Fiji Suva Mission

Fiji Suva Mission

Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Atonement is the Center of Everything (Tavua Area, Week 21)



And I live here!


My Zone Leaders, Elder Brower 
and Elder Hokuin
Boy! Another crazy week where I wasn't even in Tavua for most of the week. On Monday, we went to Lautoka for Zone P-Day and Zone Qito (pronounced "ngito", but with an ng as in "finger") (means "to play" but we use it as a noun for some reason). That was awesome. That night, we went on splits with the Zone Leaders and stayed at their flat. Crazy thing happened that night: someone broke into the house! They broke into the landlord's half of the Zone Leaders' house, but they stole some shoes from the Zone Leaders' porch! (not mine - everyone else's, but not mine).

My Zone
ZTM was way good, but afterwards, we had to put Elder Vole on a bus to Suva. He had some gum or tooth infection and he had to go to Suva City for a root canal. I stayed with the Lautoka Zone Leaders for the next few days. They taught me a lot while I was there - Elder Brower and Elder Hokuin are nearing the end of their missions, and they are excellent missionaries! It was way inspiring, but on Thursday, I was happy to go back to Tavua. I've been away from my area for way too long these past few weeks.

When we got back on Thursday evening, we wasted no time: we dropped our stuff, came up with a quick plan, and went straight back to work. Somehow, even with just three days of proselyting, we taught 14 lessons. Usually, we get around that much for the whole week, but now I see that I've been holding back from my full potential. Many missionaries are helping me to realize that potential,
the potential to help as many people come unto Christ as we can.

And the best part about Fiji: 
every kid you meet is your best friend!
Elder Vole and I had a bit a of a heart-to-heart talk this morning. Among the things we talked about, I learned that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is at the center of everything we do, and not just as missionaries. It's at the center of all the lessons, and I wasn't focusing on it as I should have. My very life wasn't focused on it. I felt the Spirit tell me, very powerfully, that I needed to consider the Atonement more in my life; how to think about it, how to apply it, and how to help other to learn and know and feel it's wonderful blessings. The Atonement of Jesus Christ began with His suffering for our sins in the Garden of Gethsemane, His death on the cross of Calvary, and His glorious Resurrection. His Atoning sacrifice in all our behalf made it possible for all mankind to change and become like Him. Because of His Atonement, we will all be saved from physical death, and we are all given the opportunity to be saved from spiritual death, or separation from our Heavenly Father. The Atonement not only provides the means but also the power to change from fallen to holy, from sinner to saint.


Went teaching with Nancy in Tavua and Vatukoula. 
We even taught a few pigs!
I can't begin to describe the price that the Savior paid to accomplish this sacrifice; I can hardly fathom it. But I can testify that it is real and true and is available to every single person who has lived, ever will live, and who lives right now. No one, not one, is exempt. His Atonement is infinite and eternal. We can all embrace it and become better, more perfect, and more Christlike. This is the truth of heaven itself, and I've missed so many opportunities to share it with these people. Never again will I forget the reason I'm here, nor the true message I carry: Christ has overcome the world so that we can all overcome it, too. This is His Church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and in His Church is His true power and Priesthood authority to perform the ordinances of salvation. Repent, all
ye ends of the Earth, and come unto Christ, and be perfected in Him. It's not a command; it's an invitation to receive the best deal of eternity. We hand ourselves over to Christ; He gives us eternal life and joy and everything His Father has in return.

That's a pretty good deal.


Elder Barnaby





This was the day I rode from Suva to Tavua (5 hours) 
buried in boxes and suitcases.

This was crazy - out in the middle of nowhere in Vatukoula and then, 
all of a sudden, "A wild Carnival appeared!"


With the Zone Leaders again - 
the Indian guy is Jonas, from Lautoka 2nd Ward, 
who's waiting on his mission call.








No comments:

Post a Comment