Fiji Suva Mission

Fiji Suva Mission

Sunday, January 31, 2016

3 Elders + 1 Baptism = Happiness (Nakelo Area, Week 7)




Transfers came and went this week -- and I'm still in Nakelo! Boy, I was so excited when President
Layton told me that I would be staying. I was asked to formally train Elder Tabala, who's now changing to his real family name, Elder Raiqisa (rine-geese-ah, for all you non-Fijians). I've also been given a third companion, Elder Lemusu. If you remember, Elder Lemusu was in Rakiraki area when I was in Tavua. He's half Samoan half Maori from Sydney, Australia. It's way exciting to be his companion - I love the guy! He's way funny, and we get along way good. I'm hoping it will be an enjoyable companionship -- there are three of us, after all!

One other thing that I was asked to do was to be the new District Leader over the Bau District, which includes four areas and nine missionaries. My duties as a District Leader is to plan and prepare a weekly meeting for the missionaries, perform baptismal interviews for those who wish to be baptized, collect information on how each missionary companionship is doing, and meet the needs of the missionaries. It's a big responsibility, and I'm a little scared to be asked to do this - but I'm excited as well. It's a new challenge, a new adventure to face. I'm lucky to have some great companions to support me.

Tuesday was both the day I was informed of all these changes by the mission president, and the day
of Susana's baptismal interview. Of course, she passed with flying colors, just as I predicted. We kept in touch with her throughout the week, and on Sunday, we held her baptism! Boy, it was a special day. Actually, she was half an hour late to her own baptism, but she made it and she was so excited to be there and to make a special covenant with the Lord to always follow Him, and keep His commandments. She bore a powerful testimony after her baptism about the truthfulness of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the Restoration of the Gospel, and the happiness and peace it's brought to her life. She's a special person. I felt honored when she asked me to perform the ordinance of her baptism. It was happy day.
Throw back to the beginning of my mission
- boy have I grown

Do not fear the Lord is with you
even if the bridge you have
to cross looks like this!
Most of this week has been spent in Suva, though - Elder Raiqisa and I went for some training on
Wednesday and Thursday, and Thursday I said goodbye to the greatest missionary I know: Elder Beilman. He's been my Zone Leader here for the past six weeks, and on Wednesday and Thursday I got to spend a lot of time with him. Saying goodbye to him was the hardest goodbye I've had in my whole mission. He's going to do great things.

 I also had say goodbye to Elder Carter.  An amazing missionary and a friend for eternity! He has blessed my life and my mission more than he will ever know.  Fiji will miss him and I will miss him more than I can express.
Elder Beilman 2nd from the left, Elder Carter top right

Rockin the Fijian coolness!!
After church on Sunday, we went to visit some relatively new investigators, Peni and Laite Waqa, and we had a bomb lesson with them. They just fired question after question, and they were so interested in what we had to say. They kind of went off on a rant near the end about some hipster-preacher they listen to on the radio, but they still want us to come back and they want to come to the Temple Open House on Wednesday! Boy, they're way cool.

Fijian cuteness gets me every time!

Nakelo is on it's way. Lots is happening in Fiji, as the Temple Open House is coming to a close and the rededication is coming up on the 21st of February. This is it! Here comes the kingdom!

Elda Barnaby


P.S. my Ponderizing scripture of the week is Helaman 5:30


Some rugby on the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment